Friday, August 10, 2012

To Dream.

"All that we see or seem is but 
a dream within a dream." - Edgar Allan Poe

NASA's photograph of a galaxy
From the Hubbl
First off.. speaking of dreams, I'd just like to give some congratulations to my blog "sketchbook" for receiving over 200 views. (Lets make it to 1,000) Huge thank you to everyone who made that possible! Now for the newest entry on something a little different than the usual.

Native Americans said that dreams we're significantly more important than reality, or what we perceive reality to be. It's also said that dreaming is dying, only without permanently losing consciousness. This observation has been published in many articles on people who have died and lived through their near death experience. So my food for thought is, what can you do with dreams? What about a dream makes it so important and applicable to the dreamer? If humans followed their dreams, literally, would it change the depth of art if they chose to apply it to a piece? I think yes. Dreams are our subconscious molding over what our deep thoughts, needs, and greatest fears are. That's why dreams have such a great emotional impact on us and how we remember some of them so vividly. 

Photograph and sculpture by John Frame

Dreamer to Artist.

Many great artists have written down their most vivid dreams and have let that influence their art, such as John Frame. The picture to your right is a character in a scene of a dream he had remembered. Then, over the time span of four or so years, Frame built a whole world and art gallery about his dream. Me, having seen it, was incredibly impressed at how well he was able to communicate the same mysterious and eerie feeling of the dream to the viewer. You can actually see his final animation at this link Three Fragments of a Lost Tale.


It's always important to hold onto things that motivate you the most. For example, I'm going off to college in 13 months. Right now a new adventure is motivating me, I can go anywhere that I want if I hold onto that dream. Because the longer you hold onto it, the more the idea will grow in your head and eventually become a reality. Just like John Frame's work, his world literally started out as a dream he had. But then as he worked for years and years on this one vision, he made it a reality for not just him to experience, but for a whole population of people to enter his mind. So on my hunt for scholarships I keep in mind that college is a dream now, but with much time and hard work invested will certainly become a reality later. 


FONT PROBLEM: Let me know if it has been fixed yet, apparently there's a font problem that blogger can't figure out yet. If you know how to fix it please comment! 
Hope you enjoyed the takeaway for today's entry. 
Comment if you'd like - I love hearing your thoughts! 
I'll put more of my new artwork up next time :)
I'm also working on that video.. not sure how long it will take. 
~ Enjoy, Arianna

No comments:

Post a Comment